Welcome to our blog. It will follow the development of our garden from quagmire, after completion of our self-build, to a garden that reflects our eco-friendly principles. We are wanting to create a garden that meets our needs as a family but is also a wildlife friendly zone. Well that's what we are hoping, time will tell if we are successful.

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Chickens Plan A


Here is The Mother, I know she is plotting something as she patrols the perimeter fence. She is standing in front of a ditch that she and her friends have created...she is biding her time.





Last week it was particularly wet and stormy but the chickens still came to the fence to greet me, hoping for some tasty morsels.









Here they are going bonkers over spinach. They make wonderful clucking sounds as they peck it down at incredible speed. Little did I know but the chickens were about to have more fun. While I was out, they escaped...my daughters returned to find an empty enclosure.

Now thankfully, the chicken's desire for sweetcorn overcame their desire for freedom as they were lured back. Whether it was the wind that blew open the fence or Big Bird's amazing ability at pecking the string fence tie but the salad definitely was cut. Perhaps, it will come again as per the seed producers claims...
I couldn't be cross with the chickens, after all they do stare at the vegetable patch all day without being allowed free access.








The next morning the somewhat fatter chickens laid an egg in the middle of the enclosure like it was a peace offering.

I did catch The Mother eyeing me up...I'm sure she's   hatching Plan B

No comments:

Post a Comment